[obol] More on Oriole

  • From: BILL ROSIE <watice@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 23:58:43 +0000

Hi Folks,

I went over to Brandon Wagners this morning and after about an hour and a half
or so, the oriole showed up.  He tells me his wife first saw it on Saturday, so
it just might continue on a little longer.  This is the second Hooded Oriole
record for Polk, the first was 5/3-12/84, only 30 years ago.  After seeing the
pic and looking at the real bird, I am now kicking myself because, way back
when, maybe the early 90s I saw a light all green oriole with a black
chin/breast at my in-laws next door and wrote it off as an imm Northern Oriole.
 Quite an assumption.   I suspect it was near the time when the Eastern Phoebe
was at my place in '92.  Guess I was experienced enough to ID the phoebe, but
not the oriole.  Oh well, I hope to be ready for the next Streak-backed Oriole
that comes around.................

Bill Tice: Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and avoiding chores.