[obol] Migration shortages

  • From: sheila chambers <sheilach2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 14:22:52 -0700

The winter birds are almost gone, only a couple of Gold-crowns linger, still here are White-crowns & Song sparrows, Downy woodpecker, Flicker, Starlings, Black headed grosbeak, Orange crown warbler, House & Gold finch, Pine siskins, Band-tailed pigeons, Eurasian collared dove, Crows, Ravens, Steller's & Scrub Jay, Anna's hummingbird.

Much reduced in numbers are House sparrows, Tree- swallows, Bank swallows, W.Gull, Ca.Gull, Glaucous wing gull, Oystercatchers, Mures, Puffins, Vultures.

I have more house sparrows inside my home than what I have found outside in the Brookings/Harbor area!
Freddy's used to be full of House sparrows breeding in the outside garden shop area.

Sea birds have been decimated by overfishing & a warm, acidic ocean with growing dead zones. Both the crab & sardine fishery has collapsed, again.

Not seen or heard at all are Barn swallows & Violet green swallows, these insect eaters have been decimated by logging, burning of the rain forests & pesticides.

My trips to the port yeilded few birds, a few Western Gulls, NO Pelicans, pigeons, Mures, Grebes or Cormorants.
It was high tide at the time.

The Winchuck meadows only had a few Red-winged blackbirds. Missing were the Barn-swallows & Tree swallows, only a small flock of what I think were Bank Swallows were seen.
Silent spring is arriving here 53 years after the book "Silent Spring" by Rachael Carson.
Yes, I still have her book.

Sheila in Brookings, OR.

While your counting the birds this spring, please take note of what's missing or in lower numbers than previously. I think it's important even if the moderators don't.

---