[obol] Marion Co Purple Martins, Western Kingbirds

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 13:26:04 -0700

There was a pair of PURPLE MARTINS attempting to use some boxes put up for them
less than a year ago along Hunsaker Rd 1/4 mile east of the end of Duckflat Rd
south of Turner.  The boxes are already full of TREE SWALLOWS so there may be a
fight brewing.
2 days ago I spent some time with USFWS personnel at this site, one of whom had
put those boxes up and was happy to have seen 2 female PUMAS around the same
boxes that day.  I saw them there briefly, but then they seemed to leave.  They
(the USFWS people) also noted some GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS on this restoration
area, of which I saw and heard 1.
A little east of there, near (east of) the intersection of Brick Rd x Darley Rd
I stopped for a pair of WESTERN KINGBIRDS, not nearly as common in Marion as
they are in the eastern edge of what Bill Thackaberry used to call the prairie
portion of Linn County, the next county to our south.  They seemed to be
territorial.
Regarding Barb Combs forwarded post awhile ago today of Rock Wren on the Hills
Creek Reservoir dam in Lane County:  I saw the species there in the mid or late
1990s when I spent 2 seasons working on the Young Stand Study conducted by OSU
and UO, my part was birds while others looked at fungi, mammals, herps,
invertebrates, and plants in sixteen 35-70 yo forest stands with 4 different
thinning treatments, in the mid-elevations of west slope Cascades.  While I
don't spend any time now in Lane Co unless some Grateful Dead friendly music is
happening there, I will go out on a limb and say Rock Wren may be regular at
this spot.  As Forest said, the habitat looks perfect.
All of which is to say, this morning I found a flattened LITTLE BROWN BAT on
the pavement near the PUMA boxes.  I hung it on the gate to scare off
intruders.  It should work.
Roy Gerig, Salem OR