[obol] Fwd: Rock Wren

  • From: Barbara Combs <bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 10:34:50 -0700

Forwarded to obol at Forest's request.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Forest Tomlinson <foresttomlinson@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 7:08 AM
Subject: Rock Wren
To: Barbara Combs <bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx>

[snip]

I spent three wonderful hours birding the area just below the Hills Creek
Res. Dam this morning. I love this area at this time of year. The habitat
is riparian, dry and wet meadows, dry hillsides (the dam itself), a couple
of small ponds and forest. One of my birding goals for this year is to find
some uncommon and rare Lane County breeders. Included in this list is Rock
Wren.

I suspected there might be a Rock Wren here because the habitat around the
spillway is perfect. It is very dry and hot with a large bolder field going
up the slope of the dam. I wasn't disappointed. As soon as I reached the
area the Rock Wren was singing proudly from the top of one of the
lamp-posts by the station there at the dam.

I got great looks at it. I hung around for awhile and watched the wren move
from the area around the station to the rocky hillside. I couldn't
determine if there were more than one. I did see it on the rocks
interacting with another bird but I couldn't say for sure if the second
bird was another wren. I'll go back there next when school is out (my son
wants to see it) and I will try to determine if there is a breeding pair.

Anyone else out there seen Rock Wren in Lane County this year? According to
Birds of Lane County (Contreras) it is a rare but regular breeder. Next on
my list is a Nashville Warbler, any tips?

All in all I saw 37 species and no Starlings. Best birds today were Rock
Wren, great scholastic looks at a Hammond's, Bullock's Oriole,
MacGillvray's Warbler, and a beautiful Purple Finch in great light.

BTW - A friend who works for the Fish and Game told me that a Great Gray
Owl was struck and killed by a car on the Aufderheide.

Forest Tomlinson
Pleasant Hill Oregon

--
Barbara Combs   obie '70