[obol] Mallards diving

  • From: DJLauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 09:10:57 -0700

Yes, I have witnessed this when we were banding Mallards in N Wisconsin at night with spot lights and fishing nets.    As we approached the Mallards with the spot light on, as you tried to scoop them into the net, they would dive to get away and were rather good at it.   Dabblers can dive if they want!

Also we witnessed in Humboldt Bay Cal a large flock of  Marbled Godwits did the one thing they could do when the Peregrine came barreling in at them - they dove, completely underwater.    It worked.    So shorebirds can dive too.   They are also pretty good swimmers.  I have watched pre fledged Snowy Plover chicks swim across creeks, no problem.

Cheers

Dave Lauten

*******
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol