[obol] Allen/Rufous Hummers

  • From: DJLauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 09:14:38 -0700

Tanner wrote:

"So here are my questions: What do I need, as a birder in the inland part of the hybridization zone, in order to confidently identify a pure Rufous or Allen's hummingbird? Even though Rufous is the default species on this side of the state line, what does it take to conclusively and definitively rule out a hybrid? And if one did eventually find a good candidate for Allen’s this far inland, what is needed to adequately document it?"

You'd have to capture them and have them in your hand.   You may even need to pull a feather for genetic analysis.

So in other words, you can't.   Not with 100% confidence.

Cheers

Dave Lauten

*******
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol