[obol] Malheur Weekend Photos

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 20:10:17 -0700

Came back today from another wonderful Memorial Day Weekend at Malheur NWR.
I saw 114 species in 2 and a half days at the refuge. Great birding as
always. Highlights for me:

BLACKPOLL WARBLER - male, great views at HQ
GRAY CATBIRD - 2, HQ
SHORT-EARED OWL - several hunting at all times of day and dusk near HQ
WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKER - fantastic views of the HQ bird

Birds I found that are unusual at HQ in spring:

FOX SPARROW - 1
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW - 1
SWAINSON'S HAWK - 1

Other fun birds:

Eastern Kingbird - 3
Great Horned Owl - 4
Horned Grebe - 1
Red-naped Sapsucker -1
Townsend's Solitaire - 1, P-Ranch
Bobolink - 4

Photos of all of these and more are at the link. Enjoy!
https://picasaweb.google.com/116543486500187950130/MalheurNWRMemorialDayWeekend2014

Good birding,
Thomas Meinzen
Eugene