[obol] Re: Local Swainson's Thrush Fallout

  • From: Jim Danzenbaker <jdanzenbaker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gerard Lillie <gerard.lillie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 09:25:22 -0700

All,

I've been having audible nocturnal Swainson's Thrushes over my house every
night and early morning since last Friday morning but none more prominent
than the flight of August 25.  I've had Swainson's Thrushes every morning
around the yard - usually with several running along the railing of the
back deck.  Just a few blurps this morning so the line of Thrushes may have
shifted westward?  I'm in Battle Ground which is about 6 miles east of the
I-5 freeway in Clark County.  The number of vireos/warblers/flycatchers in
and around the yard continues to be the best I've ever had with a minimum
of 8 Warbling Vireo each day.  Don't know if these are the same individuals
as the number of Black-throated Grays, Yellows, OCs, and Wilson's seems to
noticeably fluctuate.  Anybody have any idea whether WAVIs linger more at
one spot during migration than other species?  My local BH Grosbeaks left
on the 8/26 or evening of the 25th, the day after I had an incursion of
four more BHGR to add to my two lingering locals.  Anybody else lose their
BH Grosbeaks on the 26th?

Difficult to sleep during fall migration!

Keep your eyes and ears skyward.

Jim in Battle Ground, WA

--
Jim Danzenbaker