[obol] Re: Little Blue Heron recent RBA

  • From: "Wayne Weber" <contopus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL2" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 09:41:40 -0800

Oregon Birders,

I saw this same heron at Celilo Park on November 27th, and I have better
photos of it than Susie Hubbard's (i.e., higher magnification.)  I am quite
sure that it's a leucistic Great Blue Heron, and I reported it as such to
eBird. I didn't recall that it had been seen in the same place last winter.

It's always worth reporting odd-looking herons--  as we know, this family of
birds is known for polymorphism. Although we have many hundreds of Great
Blues year-round near where I live in BC, I've never seen one that looked
like the Celilo Park bird.

Wayne C. Weber
Delta, BC
contopus@xxxxxxxxx