[obol] Lincoln County stuff

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 19:32:03 -0800

I spent four days at Depoe Bay starting NOV 2. During that time I spent about
20 hours of sea watching with various combinations of Judy Meredith, Mike
Golden, and Darrel Faxon.
The only somewhat rare bird was a solitary ELEGANT TERN seen by Judy only. A
few Pink-footed Shearwaters and Sooty Shearwaters were seen, as were two
Pomarine Jaegers.

Today there were two Orcas (KIller Whales) offshore. Better in my perspective
was the very close-in False Killer Whale that was seen off and on for maybe 15
minutes. It is only the second that I have seen, and the first I have seen in
Oregon.

Judy and I looked at a lot (but not all) of the geese between Neskowin and
Pacific City. We didn't find the hoped-for return of the Tundra Bean Goose.
There was an adult Greater White-fronted Goose just off Christenson Rd. at
Nestucca NWR. An immature GWFG was on the partially flooded golf course at
Neskowin.

Four Eared Grebes were with the assortment of other grebe species and
mergansers near the first park out of Lincoln City on east Devil's Lake Road.

Jeff Gilligan