[obol] Lincoln Co (Yachats) Sightings & (Newport) Gray Catbird/Western Kingbird - YES

  • From: "Diane Pettey" <surfbird@xxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 18:41:28 -0700

Today, I birded Lincoln County's coast. I stopped and seawatched at Yachats Park with two Santa Fe, New Mexico birders, Lonnie Howard and Gail Szpatura. I really enjoyed helping them find life birds, including at least 15 MARBLED MURRELETS, Pigeon Guillemots, Surf and White-winged Scoters, Pacific Loons, Common Murres, Pelagic Cormorants and Rhinocerous Auklet. Ocean conditions were exceptional for viewing floating birds.

Later, I met up with David Smith of Portland and Chuck Philo of Newport. Chuck got us incredible views of the Gray Catbird behind the USFWS building. It was singing from a holly tree and seemed to have staked out it's territory.

David saw the Western Kingbird a few minutes before I arrived. We all tried to relocate it but I only heard it sing briefly along the Science Center trail. It is moving around a lot.

regards,
Diane Pettey
Heceta Beach, OR
d.koastie69@xxxxxxxxx