[obol] Least Flycatcher, Fern Ridge - Yes!

  • From: "John Sullivan" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Oropendolas@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 13:02:13 -0700

Hello All,

Barry McKenzie and I paddled Fern Ridge by canoe, into Coyote Creek this
morning from Hwy 126 and encountered the Che-bek, Che-bek, Che-bek, Che-beking
LEAST FLYCATCHER within the first 5 minutes of the trip. We got a few looks and
Barry attempted some overhead photos, but the bird stayed high and mostly
hidden in the foliage. Barry and I tried to access this location on foot last
Monday, 6-23. Deep water, and a dense, thorny, tangled, tall understory and
hordes of Mosquitos make this small patch of woods extremely difficult to
navigate on foot. We didn't encounter the bird on Monday, which is a little
surprising given how vocal this bird is.

FORSTER'S TERNS were encountered further north on the lake, including one nest
with eggs and a BLACK TERN feeding three fuzzy, brown ~week-old chicks.

Good Birding,

John Sullivan
Springfield, OR

Sent from my iPad