[obol] Re: Curlew roost N of Enterprise

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birding-neoregon-group@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:32:26 -0700

Folks,

I asked where the Long-billed Curlews heading NNW from Enterprise were going
at dusk.  We looked for them in the fields between Joseph and Enterprise
during the day and didn’t find them.  However, at dusk they head out over
the dry uplands in a beeline, silently.  We saw them in small groups of 5-6
birds.

Carol looked in A.C. Bent’s Life Histories of North American Shore Birds,
Part Two, p. 103-104, and found reports written by J.J. Audubon (1840),
describing how they fly directly, in small groups, to night roosts on the
Carolina shore, and Wickersham (1902) describing how birds on the prairies
fly to “some distant marsh or pond” where they settle in for the night.

I looked at Google maps satellite view and I can find a small pond, about ¾
miles west of Golf Course Road and ¾ miles NW of where we saw the birds.
Other than that, the country NW of Enterprise is bare hills, then forest,
until a curlew would reach the Grande Ronde River about 30 miles away.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan