[obol] Josephine Co, Illinois Valley Poor Will

  • From: Romain Cooper <romain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rv-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 18:25:22 -0700

Late Report:

Christie & I went up Waldo Lookout (aka Sanger Peak) Road (off Waldo Road), Illinois Valley, Josephine County the evening of Sept 27 to view the lunar stuff.

We heard repeated Poorwill Vocalizations. I occasionally see Poorwill this time of year but don't often hear them vocalizing now. This area (serpentine/ peridotite habitat) is a consistent nesting season site for Poorwill & we did find them here this season. Wondering if this is just a passer-thru bird attracted to the habitat or the breeding birds hung out on this site for this long after nesting?

A Northern Pygmy owl was also vocalizing the same place, same night. Seems like I hear the "trill" that often proceeds the "toots" more this time of year (late summer / early fall) than other times.

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road
Cave Junction, OR 97523
541-592-2311