[obol] Re: JoCo - grackle

  • From: Romain Cooper <romain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx,OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 17:35:52 -0700

Christie & I checked out the Great-Tailed Grackle sighting at the sewage ponds @ about 2pm. Found the pair (2 MALES) who were definitely not hiding. The birds were feeding on the lawn, allowing relatively close approaches and vocalizing loudly at times. Didn't see any female though we looked.

Thank you, Russ. You have changed birding in SW Oregon forever (in a good way) and your interest in lowly Josephine Co. is appreciated.

We also checked out Lake Selmac where the Ring-Billed Gull was still present (as was the Pintail). No Bonaparte's Gulls present. Also saw a Double-Crested Cormorant and Green Heron along with other traditional fare at the lake.

The best bird species of the day, however, was a pair of GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES at the Cave Junction sewage ponds.
"They're down here, just nobody can find them."  ~HN

Good birding,
Russ Namitz
Medford

Romain Cooper