[obol] Jo Co Poorwills

  • From: "Dennis Vroman" <dpvroman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Rogue Birds" <rv-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 16:55:09 -0700

Today (10-03-15, which is also my Birthday) at the Rough & Ready Botanical
Wayside (just west of Cave Junction along US 199). My Wife and I found not 1,
but 2 COMMON POORWILLS.

Considered late in the year for Poorwills, however, they are not totally
unexpected in early October. The semi-open habitat found at Rough & Ready is
typical of where they occur in southwest OR. Nearly stepped on a bird, which
flushed. I stopped and noted it was a Poorwill (flew a short distance low to
the ground an landed a short distance from me). Took another step and flushed a
second bird which also flew low to the ground and in the direction my wife, who
saw this bird really well. Buffy-colored outer tips were noted on there rounded
tails.

Dennis