[obol] Jim Leonard's Carpodacus

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 06:52:45 -0700

The only reason I can see for calling this bird a "Cassin's" is location. The
jiz is Purple, Purple, Purple. I don't spend nearly enough time there on the
eastern flank of the Cascades. The mix of species, Animalia, Planta, or Mycena,
take your pick, is often dizzying, and changes with every step one takes east
or west. In my own highly inexperienced opinion the Purple Finch Jim has
documented is more interesting (even significant?) than a Cassin's would be.
Stick to your guns Jack, you're better than you think.  Lars