[obol] Jefferson Park 10/4

  • From: "Phil Pickering" <philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 12:17:56 -0700

Yesterday (10/4) I hiked in from the Whitewater Creek
trailhead and spent over 3 hours crisscrossing Jefferson
Park. I did not detect any really interesting migrants, but
a few species were present in significant numbers. It was
very windy on the way up and during the first hour there
which didn't help, gradually calming in the late morning
and afternoon.

- Evening Grosbeak - hundreds in numerous small
southbound flocks flying over throughout the day
- American Robin - numerous southbound
- Mountain Chickadee - at least a few hundreds spread
around the Park area in small groups. They did not appear to be on the move quickly, although when the
flocks flew they were trending S/SE.
I don't know what would be a normal concentration
here, but guessing the density at least in part reflects
the same influx that has sent multiple stragglers to the
lowlands.

Also saw/heard in the Park -
1 Merlin
1 Sharp-shinned
1 imm. Bald Eagle
1 Red-tailed Hawk
- several southbound Northern Flicker
- 20ish Clark's Nutcracker
- only 1 Chestnut-backed Chickadee, plus a few more near the trailhead
5+ Townsend's Solitaire
- a few Varied Thrush - only a handful of Yellow-rumps, the only Warbler species detected
- Golden-crowned Sparrow, small numbers
in the Park and along trail on the way up
- only occasional small flocks of Siskins and
Crossbills not amounting to many

I visited all the lakes and did not see any
waterbirds.

http://philliplc.com/2015images/JP01.jpg
http://philliplc.com/2015images/JP02.jpg
http://philliplc.com/2015images/JP03.jpg