[obol] Re: Jackson Bottom Wetlands Herons and others

  • From: Steve Engel <Steve.Engel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 17:19:48 -0700

I've been away leading a Portland Audubon birding trip to North Dakota the past
two weeks and missed the Golden Plover that visited JBW and was reported to the
front desk on June 12th by Gary Witt and to OBOL by Steve Nord.  Based on
Gary's photos that he sent us I'd agree with Will Risser that Pacific GP is a
good call.  I was catching up on local birding this afternoon and noted of the
11 Great Blue Herons in Wapato Marsh 6 of them were birds of the year.  The
clacking and so forth issuing from the rookery to the east is much diminished
and only a few of the nests visible from the west side still contain nestlings.
On another note, the Osprey on the nest at the south end of Pintail Pond
appeared to be tending to something animate beneath her.
Good birding

Steve Engel, Recreation Program Supervisor
Jackson Bottom Wetlands Preserve | Parks and Recreation Department
2600 SW Hillsboro Hwy., Hillsboro, OR 97123
Phone:  503-681-6283 |fax 503-681-6277
email:  steve.engel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web:  www.jacksonbottom.org