[obol] Re: ID help

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linda Phelan <lindaphelanlmt@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 21:57:52 +0000

Linda,

The "pigeons" that you saw at Koll Wetlands were almost certainly Band-tailed
Pigeons, particularly if they were near the northwest corner of the pond in the
large willow and the nearby cedars. There must be some sort of seep at that
corner of the pond where the pigeons are getting water and minerals. They are
there almost daily. I've seen upwards of 35 birds in this general area on many
occasions and as recently as last week.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 12:12:22 -0700
Subject: [obol] ID help
From: lindaphelanlmt@xxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Obolers, For those in the Beaverton area, I just
saw a flock of birds at the Koll Wetlands, I'm guessing they're some kind of
pigeon, from the shape and size. I counted at least 43 of them. At first I
thought they were a dove, but the coloring and shape seems off for that., I
couldn't see them well enough through my binoculars.
There were also small yellow birds flying in and out
of the Willow tree. One was pirched briefly, and the entire breast was yellow.
This is on Nimbus, across the street from the First
Tech Credit Union. Look west from the end of the parking lot, across what used
to be the lake. There is a Weeping Willow, and they were sitting in the tops of
this, and the tree to the right of it. This is the north end of the lake. This
was about 11:30 am.
The beaver pond on Nimbus, just south of Scholls
Ferry has several female Wood Ducks with at least two or three young ducklings
left apiece. There was one larger group a little older, and seemingly more
members left.
Linda / Fanno Creek
--
Linda Lee