[obol] Re: Heto Warblers in Oregon: Why aren't there more reports?

  • From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 22:05:33 -0400

Thanks all for your good comments. Keep watching your Hermits. Actually, also
your Townsend's. Especially birds with limited to no streaking and gray tones
on crown/back. See Steve Mlodinow's 4 pictures starting here for an example:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36088296@N08/6324886934/.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR
From: greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [obol] Heto Warblers in Oregon: Why aren't there more reports?
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 00:16:10 -0400

Townsend's Warbler does NOT breed in the OR Coast Range, so all high elevation
"dendroica" (now "setophaga") are Hermits. The OR Cascades host both. I've
always wondered why there are no reports of hybrid Hermit warblers from Oregon.
[Btw, Heto warbler refers to Hermit x Townsend's Warbler hybrids]. Partly, this
has to do with that it's just not on the Oregon birder's radar to look for
appropriate field marks.
These birds do come through Oregon, but there may not be a hybridization zone
in OR. There are 2 hybridization zones in WA state, one in the southern
Cascades near Packwood, the other in the SE Olympics.
In terms of song, one should not rely on songs with respect to hybrids. I've
personally heard a classic Hermit song, yet when I got a glimpse, it was an
obvious hybrid. I have heard tweener songs in both Mason and Jefferson County
in WA state, where the bird ended up being the expected hybrid. I've  also seen
pure Hermit in both counties.
So, please inspect your local Hermits for aspects of hybridization. The 3 best
field marks are:
-Yellow on the breast: A Hermit with yellow on the breast is not pure-Black
streaking on the flanks: Should be very limited to nil on Hermit-Back color:
Gray on Hermit, green on Townsend's
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR