[obol] Harney County-late report

  • From: Melissa Cummins <mcummins191@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 16:06:28 -0700

I was able to visit Harney County earlier this week. I didn't do a lot of
birding as mainly was a touring visit with my elderly mother, however did
see 51 species. Nothing really out of the ordinary, but highlights (at
least for me) as follows:

Frenchglen: 5 evening grosbeaks (on 10-14), made a quick appearance,
Golden Crowned Sparrow, Varied Thrush and a Townsend's Solitaire on 10-13.

Flock of 50 or so western bluebirds near the east rim on Steens Mountain
10-14.

About 150 Sandhill cranes on Greenhouse Lane near Hines as we were leaving
yesterday. About the same number flying over was we entered the Silvies
Valley.

About 30 dowitchers in a small water hole just past Greenhouse Lane on the
highway.

My first Northern Shrike this fall on the road between Frenchglen and the
Narrows.

2 Yellowlegs on a small lake on the way up to the Steens summit.

The weather was very warm - over 80 every day.

Photos of the trip here:

*https://www.flickr.com/photos/30981098@N03/
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/30981098@N03/>*
Melissa Cummins