[obol] Grounded Swift

  • From: Floyd Schrock <fschrock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOLINKS <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Yamhillbirders <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 19:03:31 -0700

In Newberg today (5-26-13) I found a VAUX'S SWIFT lying on its back on a
sidewalk, and discovered, when I picked it up, that it was still alive.  It
appeared to be uninjured, but I assumed it must have collided with
something, and fell down stunned. After a few minutes holding it, I did not
see any sign that it might revive, so I placed it on a branch of a spruce
tree out of a cat's reach, hoping it might yet wake up.  But now I'm
wondering if it might have been in a weakened condition because of lack of
food during the recent cool, rainy weather.  Does that ever happen.

Photos at http://empids.blogspot.com/.

Also, the Violet-green Swallow female is working on her nest again today,
after a few days of absence during recent rains.  She spent last night
inside the nestbox.

Floyd Schrock

Floyd Schrock
McMinnville, Oregon   USA