[obol] Green Ridge Big Day

  • From: "Kim Boddie" <kcboddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "COBOL sightings" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "OBOL Sightings" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 19:56:16 -0700

With the eyes of nine people up on Green Ridge today we were able to count 406
Raptors heading south.  The morning started out as a bust with almost calm east
winds with only 8 birds through 1:00.  The next hour with good SW winds had 46
with 138 between 2:00 and 3:00.  The two highlight species were one each of
Swainson's and Broad-winged Hawks.  Another thrill for us was to watch a Merlin
catch a dragon fly on the  wing and eat it right over us. Not only were there
lots of hawks, but we also saw at least 26 species of other birds.  Some of us
spent an extra 1/2 hour up on the site to record the last rush of birds.

Here is what we saw:

Turkey Vulture                     20                       Osprey
                   8
Bald Eagle                             8                        Northern
Harrier                 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk         185                       Cooper's Hawk
    81
Northern Goshawk                1                        Red-tailed Hawk
        69
Broad winged Hawk              1                         Swainson's Hawk
       1
Golden Eagle                        7                         Merlin
                      9
Peregrine Falcon                   3                          Unid Accipiter
                8
Unid  Buteo                          3

Kim Boddie
Bend