[obol] Re: Great-crested

  • From: "Tom Crabtree" <tc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 22:20:18 -0800

Since I was on my way to Forest Grove for a conference the next two days given
the news from this morning I thought I would head there by way of Newport. Not
exactly the most direct route, but a very enjoyable one as it turned out. I
arrived at Thornton Creek at 3pm and watched and listened to the Great-crested
Flycatcher until about 5:30. It stayed in a grove of deciduous trees at the
MP1. It probably called 50 times while I was there – mainly in two extended
bursts. It never came close or out in the open for good views, but those who
came while I was there (Hendrik & Oscar, Wayne Hoffman & James Billstine) all
got to see it. It would perch in the trees in the middle of that grove and
move around every few minutes. One just had to look for movement and follow it
till it landed on a branch that offered a better view.

Tom Crabtree