[obol] Gray Catbird at Hatfield Marine Science Center, Newport

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <range.bayer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 21:20:44 -0700

Folks,

Carol & I visited Newport today, 11:30 - 5.  We spent some time dodging
rain.  We concentrated our efforts behind the HMSC, looking for the Catbird,
2:20 - 4:25 PM.  We never heard it sing.  Carol saw it first.  I finally saw
it in the thick bushes west of the south end of the boardwalk at the south
end of the HMSC trail.

We saw the following birds:

Brown Pelican ~ 8

Brandt's Cormorant

Pelagic Cormorant

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Surf Scoter -- 1

Osprey -- 1

Bald Eagle -- 1 adult, Idaho Flats

Northern Harrier - immature, very busy behind the HMSC

Heermann's Gull - 75 on westernmost rock finger, south jetty of Yaquina Bay

California Gull

Western Gull

Caspian Tern

Common Murre

Pigeon Guillemot

Eurasian Collared Dove

American Crow

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Swainson's Thrush - vocal along the HMSC trail

American Robin

Gray Catbird - found at S end of HMSC trail, W of bridge

European Starling

Cedar Waxwing

Yellow Warbler

Spotted Towhee