[obol] Grasshopper Sparrows - Fern Ridge area

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 21:18:13 -0700

Hi all,

Just some good news on Grasshopper Sparrows in the Fern Ridge area (Lane
Co.).

Today Bob Altman and I mapped out 9 territories near the east end of
Royal Avenue (Willamette Valley Birding Trail site F7). I have to say,
it was fun to be in a place where Grasshopper Sparrows outnumbered
Savannah Sparrows, and you could hear 3 or 4 singing at once, not to
mention the American Bitterns and Virginia Rails in the distance.

There were also about five territories around the Meadowlark Prairie
Overlook (WVBT site F5), mainly on the west side of the road. We also
heard one or two singing on private land in the vicinity.

This is the first time that I've really birded the area. My hat is off
to the folks from Eugene who put their effort into protecting and
restoring prairie habitat in the West Eugene Wetlands -- it's an amazing
place to visit!

Among other grassland birds, Western Meadowlarks were well represented.
We heard one Horned Lark singing as we passed by the Eugene airport. A
pair of Western Kingbirds flew over chattering while I was staking out
one Grasshopper Sparrow at Meadowlark Prairie.

Happy birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier