[obol] Grand Ronde raptor route Jan. 7, 2016

  • From: Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOLINKS <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 15:42:03 -0800

I don't normally post my results but since I begged for help on id for a couple hawks we saw, I'll post what we saw that we knew what were. (Trying saying that fast.) My route goes from west of Grand Ronde a few miles east to Willamina area to Sheridan and back on Hwy 18 to Harmony Rd. to Ridgeway Rd. to Hwy 22. With side roads. It zigzags between Yamhill and Polk counties. 78 miles, about 7 hours (depending on how much time I waste trying to id raptors). I started doing it in January 2005 with encouragement and help from Carol Karlen. Back then, there were lots of White-tailed Kites in the area. Now there are none. There were no Red-shouldered Hawks, though, and now there are.

3 Adult Bald Eagles (a pair is frequently sitting in a tree beside the Willamina Fishing Pond)
3 Red-shouldered Hawks
31 Red-tailed Hawks (including White Wing, the Grand Ronde area white winged Red-tail that some of you have probably seen... he's been around since at least 2005)
21 Kestrels
3 Northern Harrier
1 Cooper's Hawk

--