[obol] Re: Grackle

  • From: "Tim Janzen" <tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fschrock@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Yamhillbirders'" <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'OBOLINKS'" <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 00:24:01 -0700

Dear Floyd,

                This looks like a Common Grackle to me.  The overall
bronze/dark brown coloration contrasting with the blue-green head and neck
are typical of Common Grackles of the "bronzed" type.  Male Great-tailed
Grackles have somewhat longer tails that are more fan shaped.  They also
have a more uniform black/dark purple coloration and a slightly larger bill
than Common Grackles.  Common Grackle is still a review species.  It would
be helpful if you could obtain the date that this photo was taken and a
definite location where the bird was seen.

Sincerely,

Tim Janzen