[obol] Re: Grackle

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Floyd Schrock <fschrock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 00:20:55 -0700

Floyd,

Thanks for posting this.  This looks like a Common Grackle to me, as its
bill seems too short to be a Great-tailed (or Boat-tailed) Grackle.  I
lived in SE Texas briefly and routinely saw flocks of several hundred GT
Grackles hanging out in strip malls.

Oregon Birds is interested in publishing this.  Could you send me your
friend's contact info?

Brandon
Photo Editor, Oregon Birds

-----
*Subject: Grackle*
Date: Thu May 16 2013 0:31 am
From: fschrock AT gmail.com

A non-birder friend sent me a photo of a bird I think is a Grackle at his

place somewhere south of Lapine in central Oregon.  I'm quite familiar with

Common Grackles from some years living in Pa. and Va., but not so familiar

with Great-tailed Grackles.  This bird doesn't appear to have enough of a

tail for that, but maybe they're just growing in.  (?)  Anyway, if someone

wants to take a look at the photo, and help me give my friend a certain

i.d., the photo can be seen here:
http://empids.blogspot.com/