[obol] Glaucish Gull

  • From: "Wayne Hoffman" <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 19:16:26 -0700

Hi -

A first-cycle gull with white wings (mostly white plumage) has been hanging
out at the "gull spot" on the Yaquina Bay South Jetty the past several days.

The bird looks a lot like a Glaucous Gull, but the boundary between the
black bill tip and pink base is not as clean as on a typical Glaucous Gull.
The rest of the gull's appearance is quite good, with bill shape, eye
appearance, overall color, wing length, neck length, all more like Glaucous
than Glaucous-winged.

Given the bill, I think the most likely ID is that it has both Glaucous and
Glaucous-winged ancestry, but more
Glaucous.  In other words a mostly Glaucous back-cross.

This is the latest in spring/summer I have ever seen a Glaucous or glaucous
intergrade gull.

Wayne