[obol] Gilliam County Chats

  • From: john shewey <jshewey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 09:47:59 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

for nearly 20 years I have hunted chukars on two big ranches in Gilliam County,
one west of Condon, the other south of Condon; both have significant, lengthy
tribs to the lower John Day and both have extensive canyon networks. Each year
I go over there in late spring/early summer to repay the ranchers for their
kindness and I spend plenty of time photographing birds in those canyons. Based
on my observation, Darrel is correct when he says "I can state unequivocally
that chats are not at all difficult to find there, and are undoubtedly a
breeding species. I would rate them as close to common, if somewhat scattered."
The problem is that much/most of the county's prime chat habitat is on private
ranches with no public access--which like introduces a sampling error in chat
observations--you can't see them if you can't get them. But because of the
access I've been fortunate to enjoy, I've found chats everywhere I've expected
to find them and even, as Darrel says, in brushy upland canyons (usually those
with springs), including small brushy slot canyons with springs.  John Shewey,
www.birdingoregon.com