[obol] Gallery of photos from Santa Rosa Mountains in NW Nevada

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 21:52:46 +0000

Greetings all,

It's not Oregon, but it's also not far beyond the Oregon border. Two weeks ago,
Shawneen and spent about a day and a half of our four-day trip to southeastern
Oregon exploring northwestern Nevada. The focal point of our explorations was
the Santa Rosa Mountains, which are east of Hwy 95 between McDermitt, Nevada
and Winnemucca, Nevada. Rising to nearly 10,000' in elevation, this isolated
range has been the subject of limited ornithological investigation and there is
certainly much to be learned about what birds occur in these mountains.

Primary access from the north and west is via Indian Creek/Canyon Creek Rd.
(becomes FR-84), which takes off east from Hwy 95 about 30 miles or so south of
McDermitt. This access route is NOT recommended for those who don't like
heights and narrow, windy, mountain roads. If it has been raining or might
rain, it should be ABSOLUTELY AVOIDED. While it is very flat the start, the
last couple miles before you summit Windy Gap are white knuckle in dry
conditions and utterly treacherous and potentially deadly in wet conditions. We
came out this way, thankfully in extremely dry conditions. A birding friend of
ours from Nevada shared a story about a mechanic he knows, who hunts in the
Santa Rosas. His mechanic friend got caught in a rainstorm up near the summit
and came down the west side in a four-wheel drive jeep. Even in compound low
gear with CHAINS on all four tires, he wasn't sure he was going to make it down
the hill!

The easiest access and certainly the better birding route is to continue south
on Hwy 95 and then approach from the south and east on Hwy 290, which
terminates at the lovely little and appropriately named hamlet of Paradise
Valley. Paradise Valley appears to have the makings of a wonderful vagrant
trap, but it doesn't seem to get much coverage. From Paradise Valley, take
Hinkey Road straight north out of town. After several miles, you'll cross the
into the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest and the route up the side of the
mountains steepens. The road is well maintained (at least currently) all the
way to and slightly over the summit, until you reach Lye Creek Campground,
which about two miles beyond (north of) the Hinkey Summit (7850'). It should be
easily passable for most vehicles. The entire loop is about 30 miles, with some
bumpy, rocky, poorly maintained stretches between Lye C.G. and Windy Gap. From
Paradise Valley, it is probably about 15 miles to Hinkey Summit. While it might
be a bit more time-consuming, it is certainly less treacherous and more prudent
to retrace your steps back to Paradise Valley on the way out. With essentially
no stops, it took us nearly an hour to cover the back half of the loop (about
17 miles) from Lye C.G. to Hwy 95 on the way out. I don't foresee driving that
stretch again in future visits.

We had an absolute blast visiting the Santa Rosas and can't wait to get back
there again. Next time we'd like to spent at least two full days up and there
camping and perhaps a hiking up to the snowfields near the summit. I have to
wonder if there are some Black Rosy-Finches up there. I also want to get into
the stands of mountain mahogany earlier in the day when birds are more active
and singing. The link below will take you to a gallery of photos that I took
during our recent visit.

http://www.birdfellow.com/photos/gallery/908-exploring-the-santa-rosa-mountains-june-2014

Dave Irons
Portland, OR