[obol] Black Swift Oceanside

  • From: James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:18:01 -0700

While working in Oceanside today I'm fairly certain I saw a black swift. At
first I thought it was a Vaux's, but it turned and banked away and I
changed my assumption to a swallow because of it's size. However, the
wingbeat was too quick and stiff, and it banked a third time and I saw the
wings which were seemingly too narrow for a swallow, and a very clear look
at the tail. It was also very dark on it's underside, (the whole bird
seemed black) which to me ruled out other swallows. The observations were
from about 150 feet away. I am not familiar with the species, but the
flight was not like any swallow I've seen, and it was too large for a
Vaux's, plus it had a square tail.