[obol] Re: Fwd: Re: Re: Documenting banded Snowy Plovers...particularly in Clatsop, Tillamook and Lincoln Counties.

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 15:38:42 -0700

Oops sorry folks,

That was meant to be private, so I apologize for the political rant that does not belong on OBOL.  My bad.

Cheers
Dave

On 9/12/2018 3:22 PM, DJ Lauten and KACastelein wrote:

Hi Wayne

Sorry for the slow reply, just catching up on emails.

There are approximately 500 adult plovers currently along the Oregon coast, so 250 breeding pairs more or less - although we tend not to look at it that way!   Since they are serial renesters and somewhat polyandrous, it is difficult to say exactly what a breeding pair is!   Suffice to say our recovery goals were 200, and we are well over double that now, and we just had our second best productivity year since many moons ago.

As to the inland population, I do not have any good estimate, but to my knowledge it was considered stable but I suspect that is a bunch of guessing and nothing more.    I do not think anyone has a good handle on how to count the birds and which direction the population is going in.   Certainly they are facing some serious challenges based on the wintering areas (California, Baja).

I would love to know if any banded birds show up at Boundary Bay, but I suspect you will see some if we keep growing the population.    The problem we have now is our current government who is rather unfriendly to these types of projects, and who may foolishly mistake an increase in population as a sign to cut back on work.   Plovers need management or they will decline again.

cheers
Dave Lauten

On 9/6/2018 12:45 PM, Wayne Weber wrote:

Dave and Kathy,

Thanks very much for your report on the Snowy Plover recovery program. I know that both of you have been involved with it for many years, and that there has been considerable success (after huge efforts) in increasing the coastal population. Congratulations to you and to all involved.

Do you have an estimate of the total numbers of breeding pairs on the Oregon coast now as opposed to, say, 20 years ago? If so, I would be very interested to know what it is.

Also, do you have any info on the status and population trends of the inland Oregon breeding population that breeds around Malheur, Summer Lake, and elsewhere? (My first-ever Snowy Plover was at Harney Lake in 1969.)

A trivial addendum to the story is that over the summer we had two separate records of Snowy Plover at Boundary Bay near Vancouver (one of these just on the Labor Day weekend). This is far to the north of the breeding range, but these may have been from the increasing Oregon population.

Please, keep up the great work!

Wayne Weber

Delta, BC, Canada

contopus@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:contopus@xxxxxxxxx>