[obol] Re: Futility in Florence

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 13:46:01 -0700

Hi All,

I think the shorebird migration window is a bit larger than Dave Irons
portrays. The biggest numbers in Coos the past few decade have been the
first few days of May. In my 15 yrs. of doing point counts at New
River, the  earliest I saw the big movement was 20 April 2005 when I had
36,000 shorebirds/hr. passing me on the river headed north.  Several other
years I gave up after about the time Dave mentioned, the 25th or 26th, only
to see some of the largest numbers a week or so later.  Here are some
recent high counts of just Western Sandpipers at Bandon Marsh NWR (most
sightings by Dave Lauten and Kathy Castelein):

35,000 April 29, 2002
60,000 May 4, 2002
75,000 May 3, 2006
25,000 May 4, 2008
57,000 hr. passing Bandon Beach on May 2, 2006 (an estimated 400,000
shorebirds that day- mostly Westerns)

So there appears to be a window from around April 20th that some years
extends into the first few days of May. I think one just needs to monitor
the weather as Dave Lauten pointed out and hit it when the weather includes
sunny weather with NW winds. Several days in-a-row of this during this time
period usually gets the birds moving.  Of course other years we have crappy
weather the whole time and we don't really see the big movement here at all
but of course it happens nonetheless.

So if April 24th through the 26th do not work next year the following
weekend may still be good as that would be May1st through the 3rd which
coincides with some big number days in recent years.

Happy shorebirding and yes, we still do get shorebirds in the next few
weeks just not the big flocks of Westerns, Leasts, Dunlin and SB Dows. I
actually have better luck seeing Ruddy Turnstones and Red Knots a bit later
in May.

Happy shorebirding!
Tim R
Coos Bay