[obol] First-ever REEDSPORT CBC!!!! Dec 30, Come Join Us!

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ub <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 08:25:34 -0700

Dear CBCers:
After many years of day-dreaming, I am finally going to initiate a
Reedsport CBC. The Umpqua River Estuary is the only major estuary on the
Oregon Coast that does not have an associated CBC. The estuary, beaches,
pastures, wetlands, woods, and residential areas deserve more attention
than they have gotten over many decades. I hope we can start that change
with this CBC.

Click here to load a file in Google Earth that shows the circle location:
http://www.umpquabirds.org/cbc/ReedsportCBCcircle116.kmz

The date this year will be WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 30, 2015. For those
interested we will likely meet at Bedrock Cafe in Winchester Bay (opens at
0700), and convene there (or their Reedsport location) at 1700 hrs (5 pm)
for dinner and countdown (more on that later).

Jimmy Billstine and I will be co-compilers.

This count has some "regular" sections that include bays, harbors,
residential, hedgerows, pastures, etc. We also have some areas that deserve
more adventurous coverage, so I want to especially put out a call for.......

BEACH-WALKERS/BEACH-DRIVERS/ATVers
The beach south of the Umpqua South Jetty is non-motorized, so needs
beach-walkers. The beach north of the jetties allows motorized vehicles up
to a little south of Tahkenitch Creek. North of there it is again
nonmotorized. The north spit of the Umpqua River has one motorized access
trail, but otherwise is covered by foot.

BOATERS/CANOERS/KAYAKERS
There are many opportunities for boaters and canoers and kayakers on this
count! Please contact me if you are interested/able to help count with your
watercraft (provided suitable weather/water conditions). Opportunities
include Tahkenitch Lake, Smith River, Schofield Creek, Umpqua Estuary, and
the Pacific Ocean!!!

ATTENTION FLORENCE, COOS BAY, AND EUGENE BIRDERS!
REEDSPORT CBC IN TWO MONTHS!!!

Please email or call if you are interested in helping with this count. Let
me know if there are particular types of birding you are best able to do or
not able to do, so I can put you in the best spot to make use of your
talents and abilities.

Thanks and talk to you soon!

Matt Hunter
541-670-1984