[obol] Final Installment (finally) of the four-part Morrow County Blitz series

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 06:22:36 +0000

Greetings all,

In recent weeks, Shawneen and I have been on a virtually continuous birding
adventure exploring places that we've rarely if ever explored. Since doing the
Oregon 2020 Morrow County Blitz 30 May-1 June, we made a four-day trip (13-16
June) to Malheur and Harney Counties that included a full day of birding in the
Santa Rosa Mountains in Humboldt County, Nevada. Then last weekend we went to
Baker County to help with the Oregon 2020 blitz there. The half-done final day
write-up for Morrow County has been sitting on my plate since the first week of
June. I finally had the time to finish it up this evening.

http://www.birdfellow.com/journal/2014/06/30/morrow_county_2020_blitz_ag_land_squares_and_exploring

Tomorrow, I hope to crank out a piece about the Santa Rosa Mountains. Shawneen
and I were absolutely captivated by this place and we plan to make more trips
there to further explore a seldom-birded landscape. The scenery, vegetation and
birding are all spectacular.

I'll try to put together a piece about the Baker County Blitz as well. We
surprised ourselves in finding 119 species during one and a half days of
birding we did in Baker County. On Saturday alone, the blitzers found about 180
species and there were some additions on Sunday from those who stayed over and
birded a second day. Doug Robinson can fill in the exact details. Going to and
fro, we spent quite a bit of time exploring Grant County.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR