[obol] Fern Ridge Royal Ave., Eugene

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 12:01:40 -0700

I got on my bike early and birded Fern Ridge, Royal Ave. access from
7:00-9:00 this morning. Despite subpar weather, the area was fairly active,
with highlights including a cooperative CASPIAN TERN near the platform, 5
singing GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS up on fence posts and shrubs north of Royal,
and good views of two YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS in the shrubbery near the path
just a hundred yards west of the parking lot.

I also had two close-up BLACK-NECKED STILTS in the same place as last week;
southwest of the platform. While I watched, they flew in a circle right
around me twice before resuming feeding at the edge of the marsh. Also, one
AMERICAN AVOCET, one RED-NECKED PHALAROPE, and 5 WILSON'S PHALAROPES, along
with several Dunlin, Least Sandpipers, and Long-billed Dowitchers were
present on the south side of the dike running southwest from the platform.
BLACK TERNS were everywhere, an AMERICAN BITTERN was seen, and a pair of
WESTERN KINGBIRDS were on the power line and later feeding in the meadow
near the tiny pond east of the parking lot. PURPLE MARTINS were extremely
abundant near the platform, with over 70 perched in a dead cottonwood near
the platform.

Birds I don't often see at this site included a PURPLE FINCH and two
CHIPPING SPARROWS in the burned area and an active HAIRY WOODPECKER nest
near Oak Hill.

On a side note, a few days ago I observed 30 RED CROSSBILLS feeding in a
fir tree visible from my home. One juvenile was amongst them. EVENING
GROSBEAKS have been conspicuous in the area recently. And our Black-capped
Chickadee pair's eggs hatched yesterday, 5/18.

Good birding!
Thomas Meinzen
Eugene