[obol] Eugene Wed morning

  • From: kit <kit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 16:06:16 -0700

Wednesday birds - Eugene
From Dennis Arendt

Date June 25, 2014 12:53

The Wednesday birders from Eugene went to the Clearwater Park trail in Springfield. Allann Bros. coffee shop was closed for painting, so the group met in the Mexican restaurant next door. Allann Bros. will be open next Wednesday. It sprinkled briefly and was cool while we walked on the paved trail birding by ear more than by sight. Mosquitoes were prevalent. We looked and listened for the Red-eyed Vireo that has been in this area in past years. It was not found today. We did find a few young birds and nests, including a young Great Horned Owl, several baby Spotted Sandpipers with their parents, an Anna's Hummingbird nest over the trail. Spotted towhees, American Robins, Song Sparrows, Black-headed Grosbeaks and Cedar Waxwings were very common. The entire list is below.

Wood Duck - one seen flying over
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Spotted Sandpiper - several adults and at least 3 fuzzy little guys
Eurasian Collared-Dove - on the wires as we were leaving
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl - one youngster being mobbed by robins
Anna's Hummingbird - a nest over the trail
Rufous Hummingbird - buzzing by overhead
Red-breasted Sapsucker - many, perhaps 6 or more; they were fly catching like Lewis's Woodpeckers
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Western Wood-Pewee
Willow Flycatcher - a couple were heard
Warbling Vireo - about four heard
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Tree Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Brown Creeper - heard only
Swainson's Thrush - several heard
American Robin
Cedar Waxwing
Orange-crowned Warbler - heard
Yellow Warbler - heard
Wilson's Warbler - heard
Spotted Towhee - everywhere
Song Sparrow
Western Tanager
Black-headed Grosbeak
Lazuli Bunting - only one singing in an opening
Brown-headed Cowbird - heard
Lesser Goldfinch
American Goldfinch

Charlie Thomas, Dave Brown, Kit Larsen, Don Schrouder, Fred Chancey, Barry McKenzie and Dennis