[obol] East Marion County Pygmy Nuthatch

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 15:38:33 -0700

I had good looks at a PYGMY NUTHATCH on the trunk of a very large old-growth
fir, in an area where there are a lot of Western white pine, and some lodgepole
pines as well as other true and Douglas-firs and hemlocks, about a half mile
south of Olallie Meadow, near the crest of the Cascades at 5000' yesterday.  It
was with some RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES and there were several RED-BREASTED
SAPSUCKERS in the same area, to complete the red breast scenario.  PYNU has
been reported in similar situations by others, including Jim Kopitzke, at the
crest or even a little west of the crest of the Cascade Mtns.  I was up there
to camp and do some owling, but I did not see the people I expected to meet,
and I was not feeling well so I came back home after looking over the area to
Olallie Lake.  Not many other birds, and no snow, except a couple inches just
before Olallie Lake, where normally you couldn't get there this time of year.
I did see a few GRAY JAYS, heard a PILEATED WOODPECKER and heard RB Nuthatches
often.  The main birds were VARIED THRUSHES, and RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS
actively drumming and calling.
Roy Gerig, Salem OR