[obol] ECAS Christmas Valley Raptor Survey

  • From: "Kim Boddie" <kcboddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cobol sightings" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 20:17:16 -0800

Clay Crofton joined me on Wed Mar. 4th on the Christmas Valley ECAS Raptor
Survey.  We drove 88 miles under clear skies, calm to light winds and temps
between 30 and 52 degrees F.we counted 138 raptors which is a March record for
the route.  A lot of the birds were soaring with many quite far out making for
some hard identifications, you had to stick with them.  The Roughies are still
with us and we are starting to see TVs.

We saw 16 Sage Grouse on the lek, all males, but only one was doing a little
strutting.  This is way down from the 150 I saw on the lek several years ago.
In recent years we have been seeing close to 60 but it may be a little early in
the year and we haven't been to the site until around 9:00 AM.

Horned Larks were everywhere along the route in the hayfields.  we also saw 1
N. Shrike, 2 Coyotes, 6 Pronghorns, and a scattering of Mt. Bluebirds plus a
few W. Meadowlarks.

Raptors Counted:
Red-tailed Hawk                            58
American Kestrel                         1
Northern Harrier                             3
Bald Eagle                                     9 A, 4 S
Golden Eagle                                 10
Rough-legged Hawk                        24
Ferruginous Hawk                         14
Prairie Falcon                                1
Cooper's Hawk                                2
Unident. Buteo                               2
Turkey Vulture                                 2

Kim Boddie
Bend