[obol] Delta Ponds, 10/26

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 19:52:38 -0700

Having spent too much of this weekend working, I took this morning off and
birded Delta Ponds in Eugene. Nothing really exotic was present, though it
was very birdy and enjoyable. I constantly heard the calls of Zonotrichia
sparrows, the majority of which appeared to be GOLDEN-CROWNS. I had one or
two WHITE-CROWNS as well. Also lots more BC CHICKADEES and SCRUB-JAYS than
I typically see there.

Most of the winter waterfowl species are now present, with small numbers of
GW TEAL, SHOVELER, RN DUCK, and GADWALL (flocks of 10 or so each). WIGEONS
are numerous (50+). I did see two wigeon that had extensive rufous on the
head. Both had the dark outline along the gape, so they're at least partly
American. I'd have to look at my photos more closely to see if there's
evidence of Eurasian parentage.

Shorebirds included 30-ish LB DOWS and ~20 GR YELLOWLEGS, the majority of
which were along the northeast end of the pond. Did not see Dunlin, Snipe,
or anything else that occasionally shows up in the winter.

Brandon
Eugene