[obol] Dean Hale WP Festival Ochoco Leg Results

  • From: Charles Gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 17:43:20 -0700

We just finished the Ochoco leg of the Dean Hale Woodpecker Festival here in Central Oregon. We spent the whole day in Crook County visiting North Shore Road, the Ochoco Mnts and the farmland around Prineville. We found 98 species but several were heard only by the guide. We failed to find Mountain Quail, Wilson's Phalarope, a visual on Canyon Wren (heard only), Northern Pygmy-owl, Marsh Wren, House Wren, Sage Thrasher, Townsend's Warbler, Common Yellowthroat and Vesper Sparrow.

Our highlights were:

Clark's Grebe - North Shore Road
Swainson's Hawk - Woodward Marsh
Prairie Falcon - Woodward Marsh
Virginia Rail - Barnes Butte Res.
Sora - Barnes Butte Res.
Barn Owl - La Monta Rd.
Calliope Hummingbird - North Shore and Stein's Pillar
White-throated Swift- Eagle Rock
Downy WP, Williamson's SS, White-headed WP and Flicker for Woodpeckers
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - South of Eagle Rock at MP 15.  New location for me.
Black-throated Gray Warbler - Eagle Rock
MacGillivray's Warbler - Stein's Pillar
Yellow-breasted Chat - North Shore Road
Green-tailed Towhee - Hwy 380
Lazuli Bunting - North Shore Road
Tricolored Blackbird - Woodward Marsh

Here's the whole list.

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Gadwall
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Ruddy Duck
California Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Western Grebe
Clark's Grebe
White Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Swainson's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Prairie Falcon
Virginia Rail
Sora
American Coot
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Wilson's Snipe
Rock Pigeon
Eurasian Collared Dove
Mourning Dove
Barn Owl
Common Nighthawk
White-throated Swift
Calliope Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Williamson's Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
White-headed Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Western Wood-Pewee
Gray Flycatcher
Dusky Flycatcher
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
Cassin's Vireo
Western Scrub-Jay
Black-billed Magpie
American Crow
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Bank Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Mountain Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Pygmy Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Rock Wren
Canyon Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Mountain Bluebird
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Gray Warbler
MacGillivray's Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat
Western Tanager
Green-tailed Towhee
Spotted Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Brewer's Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Black-headed Grosbeak
Lazuli Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Tricolored Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Brewer's Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Bullock's Oriole
Cassin's Finch
House Finch
Pine Siskin
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

--
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for
sure that just ain't so.

Chuck Gates
541-280-4957
Powell Butte,