[obol] Re: Curry Sprague's Pipit 10/29/2015

  • From: "Tim Janzen" <tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 21:52:03 -0700

Dear Tim,

I did a 4-hour seawatch on Cape Blanco earlier today. Unfortunately, Terry
doesn't have my cell phone number. I saw a number of AMERICAN PIPITS, but
nothing that resembled a Sprague's Pipit. There was a major southbound
movement of large gulls while I was there. I probably saw at least 2500 gulls
of various species heading south around the cape. A few HEERMANN'S GULLS were
mixed in with them. There was a very light southbound loon movement.
Thousands of SURF SCOTERS continue to be on both the north and south sides of
the cape. I only saw two WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS there. There are now more
WESTERN GREBES on the north side of the cape than were there two weeks ago. A
BLACK PHOEBE was just south of the lighthouse. One flock of about 150 ALEUTIAN
CACKLING GEESE flew over while I was there. I saw no shearwaters of any
species. The NOAA research ship passed by the cape while I was there. I think
that Cape Blanco is an absolutely wonderful place to do seawatching and I wish
that it was closer to where I live.

Sincerely,

Tim Janzen