[obol] Curry E. Phoebe still around 5/16/2014

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 16:01:54 -0700

I was working up Floras Creek, Curry and passed by the location where Lois
Miller and I found an EASTERN PHOEBE last Sunday.  It was still singing
away at the old homestead which I clocked more accurately as 6.6 miles from
where this road takes off of Hwy 101 on the south end of Langlois.

Further up I went onto private land (behind a locked gate) to access some
BLM land.  The road then goes through a large open area of meadows
sprinkled with Oregon white oak.  This habitat goes all the way over the
mountain down into Dement Creek and over to the Powers areas of Coos
County.  All of it is privately owned and was probably snatched up early by
homesteaders in the area so access is pretty restricted. Anyhow  the oak
trees were hopping with birds when I drove through (about 800 foot
elevation),  I had the following birds singing as I drove up through the
open meadows and oak patches:

TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS- several
HERMIT WARBLERS- many
BT GRAY WARBLERS- several
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS- several
WILSON'S WARBLER- many
CASSIN'S VIREOS- 3
WARBLING VIREOS- everywhere!
CHIPPING SPARROW- half-dozen (breeders)
VESPER SPARROW- 1 (seen then heard singing)
WESTERN TANAGER- a few
BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK- everywhere
SOOTY GROUSE- a few
RUFFED GROUSE- one
DUSKY FLYCATCHER- 3 (about the closest I have ever found possible breeders
to the coast in either Coos or Curry).
one each of both OLIVE-SIDED FLY and WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE.
also heard a PURPLE MARTIN(S) calling overhead.

No Willow Flys yet.

Very cool area.

Merry migration!
Tim R