[obol] Curry Black-vented Shearwater tally

  • From: "W. Douglas Robinson" <w.douglas.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 18:29:44 -0700

I spent most of the day intermittently counting seabirds from Nesika beach area
in Curry County. In total, I saw a minimum of 110 Black-vented Shearwaters,
which were all seen at one time. They spent about an hour in a foraging swarm
with cormorants, pelicans, Heerman's Gulls and others.

Because they were moving around a lot, and I saw several other groups for short
periods of time, I suspect the total number was closer to 200. At one point I
saw 35 cruising by at about 0.3 mile off the coast. Although we all know they
are a bit small compared to many shearwater species, I did find it surprising
when one flew alongside a Common Murre and its wingspan did not seem all that
different, at least at the angle I had.

Other birds of interest (at least to me):

Many Elegant Terns, easily more than 150 through the day.

One Long-tailed Jaeger (dark immature) stealing a fish from a Caspian Tern.

Few alcids today. Less than 100 Common Murres, 2 Marbled Murrelets, 3 Rhino
Auklets.

May be hard to see seabirds this weekend if weather forecast holds.

Doug