[obol] Re: Curious about Willamette Valley Prairie Falcons

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 19:27:47 -0800

Carol,

As Joel suggested, folks who pay close attention to one thing are generally
very knowledgable about that one thing. In my experience, falconers know
infinitely more about birds of prey than even the most expert "birders." I can
sex falcons with some degree of accuracy, but until a falconer shared that all
of the wintering Prairie Falcons were females, it was something that I had
never noticed or considered as a possibility. Since learning this more than a
decade ago, I have endeavored to sex every Prairie Falcon that I've seen in the
Willamette Valley. While my personal sample size is relatively modest--maybe
twenty birds--I am still looking for my first male Prairie Falcon west of the
Cascades.

I don't get all OBOL messages, so I can only assume that the eastern Oregon
falconer being referenced is Dick Musser. If so, I would not hesitate to trust
him as a credible source on this question.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Sent from my iPhone