[obol] Crook County Owling and Nightjars

  • From: Charles Gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 03:22:05 -0700

Scott Staats and I did a little owling in Crook County this evening. We found 6 owl species and 2 species of nightjars.

1 Great Gray Owl - Along the 2610 Road
3 Barred Owls - Along the 2610 Road
1 N. Saw-whet Owl - Stein's Pillar Trailhead
1 Flammulated Owl - Stein's Pillar Trailhead
3 Great Horned Owls - LaMonta Road
1 Barn Owl - LaMonta Road
Struck out on W. Screech-owl in Powell Butte where I usually get them.
2 Common Nighthawks - Fireman's Pond - Redmond
2 Common Poorwill - Powell Butte

We heard some other intriguing sounds in the forest but couldn't nail them down. Perfect night for owling.

--
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for
sure that just ain't so.

Chuck Gates
541-280-4957
Powell Butte,