[obol] Coos/Curry Update 11/25/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 19:28:57 -0800

Talked to Terry Wahl this evening. The latest news from the family ranch
near Cape Blanco, Curry includes:
1- SHORT-EARED OWL (an uncommon to rare species on the south coast, not
seen most years). Terry had seen one earlier not sure if it is the same
bird?
1- TROPICAL KINGBIRD (Terry said it was the 4th of the season for him
there, all widely spaced on time)
also he said he has 10 to 15 PALM WARBLERS currently on the ranch, that
would be a large area of several hundred acres- said he sees them in many
places often with the bluebird/yellow-rump flocks (much more uncommon in
Coos County, the ranch land in northern Curry probably host the highest
winter numbers in the state).

In Coos the TROPICAL KINGBIRD (my 3rd of the year) in North Bend at/near
the BLM office was still around- it was a bit north flycatching in the
sewage treatment plant below the office- a good strategy for this bird if
it is going to remain for the Coos Bay CBC- we hope so! Never had one on
the count before...

Merry thanksgiving!
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay